Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Guess Who's Back. Back Again. OhSoLindsay's Back! Tell a Friend!

I am sorry I have been gone for so long my friends, but I’m back and ready to blog about all my new life experiences being a HOMEOWNER!  (And of course television) Yep you read right, in January of this year I purchased my first home!!  31 years in the making and I am finally living on my own, in my own home, owned by me!


For the last 31 years I have lived with my family filling my 240 square foot bedroom to the brim with clothes, purses, shoes, Starbucks mugs, trinkets, books (that I never read), sunglasses and a whole lot more.  This last year has been filled with searching for the right home, putting in offers and dealing with the rejection of homes I thought were "the one".  And now after this emotional roller coaster I am now living in the perfect home for me!  Of course with purchasing a new home and coming from a bedroom I have had the daunting task of finding furniture for every room in my house, which has been more stressful than I ever thought it would be!   When I would dream about my own home, it already had the furniture in it and all ready to move in.  NEWS FLASH: that’s not how it is in real life!  

So here’s my first question:  when do you stop trying to match everything and start buying what you like?!  Don’t get me wrong, I love each piece I have bought for my home, BUT it was a long process of thinking about it, going home and measuring, discussing for hours on end, searching other stores and then taking the step to buy it.
I have been driving myself, my family and my boyfriend crazy trying to find the ‘right’ furniture for my home that ‘matches’ with the other pieces and something that I love not just like.  I have been told by many ‘you can always get something for now and change it later on down the road’  How do I feel about this?  Well did my mom think that the dining room set bought in 1990 with the white washed oak and pink and white upholstery would still be in our house today in 2015? NOPE!  So I will continue holding out for that right piece of furniture!

I purchased my home on January 30th 2015 and it took me until March 13th to move in, for many reasons;

  1. I wanted to do a few small renos to my place and paint it
  2. I had NO furniture, not even a bed, so I was waiting for those to be delivered.  NEWS FLASH: The delivery date is NEVER the delivery date
  3. I was leaving my family.  My family and I are extremely close, and I love spending time with them, so the thought of moving out, on my own, by myself was a little scary, exciting but scary
So on March 13th, 2015 I took the day off and packed up my whole room, every single thing, which sadly fit into my jeep in one load and headed to my new home.  I cried all day.  I was sad to be leaving my family EVEN THOUGH I was going back home for dinner.  

Here we are a month later and although I LOVE, absolutely LOVE, my home, and enjoy having my own space, I still miss my family and dogs each and every day.  It’s a different feeling when you are sitting on the couch watching TV by yourself than when you do that with people around you, even if you aren't talking. 

When you first moved out of your parents’ house, were you as emotional as me?

The adventure has just begun for me, my new home and this new chapter of my life, so stay tuned.

And come back next week, for season finale rundowns and season renewals for next year!

Happy Wednesday

xoxo Lindsay

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on the new place!! I know how you feel about watching TV and just sitting around on your own and how different it is when the family isn't around. You're always thinking, should I be doing something else?! It wasn't too bad for me when I moved out since I had been to college and lived there in a dorm then in an apartment, plus my sisters didn't live at home any more. I think leaving actually brought me closer to them, so it was a little bit different. Congrats again!! PS, furniture wise, go with your own style, not everything has to be matchy. And I think it's great that you are taking your time before investing in a piece. xoxo

    ReplyDelete